Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sleep is Key!

I had a great nights sleep last night (my daughter slept through the night).  I feel pretty good today.  Sleep is so the key to how I feel.  Trouble is, with a baby and the sleep problems that come with fibro, I don't always have control over how much sleep I get.

I was reading someone else's blog about fibromyalgia and she mentioned that there were new studies that show obesity as being a factor in controlling the disease.  She was of course furious with these "findings".  I posted a comment on her blog  conveying my anger at this idea as well.  Then I did some googling on the subject.  I don't know who paid for these "studies" but I think they got ripped-off.  Obviously obesity would be a major factor in controlling fibro.  What they didn't bother to "study" was what BMI's or weights fibro sufferers had BEFORE becoming ill.  I think in many, even maybe most, cases fibro CAUSES obesity.

My fibro really took off after I gave birth to my daughter.  I gained 50 pounds during my  pregnancy.  I wasn't able to exercise due to extreme fatigue that I now know was fibromyalgia.  I lost 25 pounds at the hospital after delivery and haven't lost another pound since (almost 1 year later). Before I got pregnant I was a very healthy weight, exercised every day and ate well.  Now I'm not really able to exercise. Any time I try to (even  low impact walking) I end up being sick for the next two days, laying on the couch and not being able to do much of anything.  It's not due to pain that I can't exercise.  Even the smallest amount of exertion and I feel like I'm going to faint.  I start sweating PROFUSELY followed by chills, I feel very short of breath, I get chest pains, my heart flutters and my muscles burn like I just ran a marathon.  I think if I did actually push myself I would pass out.  I also get a sore throat and my voice gets horse.  It's such a bizarre set of seemingly unrelated symptoms.  Sometimes I can actually understand why some people think it's all in our heads.  It just sounds crazy!

I'm so frustrated.  I don't know how I'm supposed to loose this weight when I can't exercise.  I may end up becoming one of these obese statistics too.  How depressing! 

1 comment:

Haley said...

It is extremely frustrating but know that you are not alone in this struggle. The #spoonie community is large and they are a very compassionate and knowledgeable group who are always there for support.