Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dire Prognosis

I've been researching the causes of Fibromyalgia.  Of course no one really knows the cause for sure, but there are many theories.  Just like the myriad symptoms, theories of it's cause are equally scattered.  I have not found anything however that questions an environmental cause.  I admittedly haven't researched this subject that well but I'll keep looking.  Environmental causes need to be explored.  Unfortunately fibro doesn't have much history since the diagnosis was only defined in the 1970's I think.  There doesn't seem to be any data as to whether instances of fibro have increased, decreased or stayed the same.  I learned that in the past, especially since most sufferers are women, Dr.s wrote the symptoms off as hypochondria or some other psychological disorder.  How horrible that must have been.

I haven't really found anything very encouraging.  The consensus for many is that you just have to modify your life.  That there are just some things you can't do anymore.  This is so depressing.  It may be true, but I'm just not ready to admit it yet.

I went to the Dr. today.  She's a GP so she doesn't know a lot about fibro.  In fact she said that she's learned everything she knows about fibro since treating me.  Since I can't afford to go to a Rheumatologist, my GP sees me, I tell her what's going on, then calls her Rheumatologist friend and he advises her on how to treat me.  She said she'd be calling me within' a week.  It's a pretty pathetic system, but it's so nice of her to make the effort for me.  She's very understanding about my financial situation (which is pretty bad).

No comments: