Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mom to the Rescue

Tomorrow I will finally get the help I've needed for so long. After so much struggling and sickness I will be able to rest and hopefully begin to get well. Trying to manage this hotel at peak season, take care of my daughter and deal with my childish husband all the while feeling only partially alive has had me wondering more and more why I keep going. After becoming very concerned about my current state of mind and hearing my desperation through the phone, my mom booked tickets on a flight from Newark to LA that arrives tomorrow. My hope is that I will actually have some extended periods of time to rest and recuperate. I'm ecstatic that she's coming but at the same time, humbled that at age 38 I need my mom to fly across the country and rescue me.

My husband left about a half an hour ago after I told him his choices were the couch or his boat for the night. His immaturity and insensitivity have hurt me one too many times. Although I have asked him thousands of times to take over doing things I can't do anymore, he refuses to pick up the slack. My requests are always met with a roll of the eyes or sigh and often a sarcastic remark. I can't understand how he can be so insensitive to my suffering. It stuns me sometimes. He sees me pushing myself until I'm sick and just sits there watching (or not watching). When I ask him why he hasn't done something I've asked, he tells me he's been busy doing other things. I've decided that I'll stop trying to psychoanalyze his bizarre, hostile behavior and simply not tolerate it anymore. It's so important for me to have a strong support system. I've always hated to ask for help but realize that it's a necessity at this point in my life. I physically can't do the things I once could. I certainly don't need someone in my life making things more difficult for me both psychologically and physically .

Although this is the first time in my life I've had to deal with a debilitating physical illness, the experience of a failed relationship is far from new. If our marriage fails it will be divorced number two for both of us. This time though, there's a whole new dimension to be considered. We have a precious daughter. She loves her father so much and when I think of taking her away from him tears instinctively fill my eyes. One of the few positive things I can say about my husband is that he's a good father. 

I'm just beginning to realize why, for my whole life, I've been so adamant about not having children.  I'm not suggesting that I could have predicted being stricken with this terrible disease and I know that caring for my daughter would be considerably easier if I were well, but I still have this nagging feeling that I've made a big mistake. I desperately hope my little girl doesn't suffer because of my bad judgments. I know I made a mistake in marrying my husband but I've known that for some time. This is the first time there's an innocent bystander.

After a week with no response from my doctor I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I halved the dosage on three of my medications and seem to be experiencing fewer side effects. Unfortunately some Fibromyalgia symptoms are returning. I'm having more pain than I was last week, but not nearly to the degree it has been in the past.  I'll keep experimenting and hope that I can find a point where side effects and symptoms are at a tolerable balance.

No comments: