Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Stroller Ban at an Aquarium??!!

http://www.mom365.com/Preschool/Posts/2012/Feb/Will-Stroller-Bans-Hurt-Aquarium-Business.aspx

Yesterday I read the above post on the Our365 website about the Cleveland Aquarium banning strollers in their facility.  This struck me as pretty outrageous considering aquariums are such a popular place to take small children.  I would never be able to take my daughter anywhere without her stroller, especially a place that would require so much walking and standing like an aquarium.  After reading the post, I looked down at the comments and the first one I read (Teresa) really got my blood boiling. I just had to put my two cents in and I did (that's me - Kristy).

I don't mean to come down on Teresa, after all, there was probably a time in my life that I would have made a similarly insensitive remark without even knowing I had.  I realize it's very hard to appreciate your health until you don't have it anymore.  I used to hike to the top of one of my favorite trails here on Catalina and admire the beautiful view and fresh air at 1500' but I never thought to feel thankful for being able to get there.  I took for granted that I could walk or hike almost anywhere I wanted.  (here's the comment and mine if you didn't read the original post)

Teresa February 18, 2012
We have a membership to our local aquarium and they have a similar policy during peak hrs. I think it makes sense, stollers are ***bersome and some ppl use then like battering rams in busy places! Those "umbrella" stollers are one thing, but to parade your SUV of a stoller through busy places is just inconsiderate. Though I am bias, devote fans of slinging our child. It works well for us!
 Kristy February 19, 2012
This is terrible! We recently took our daughter to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA where they DO NOT have a stroller ban. Great aquarium btw. Sure strollers can get in the way but so do kids not in strollers, people in wheelchairs, elderly or disabled people who move slowly, etc. This is clearly discrimination! And to the first commentor who wrote that people are inconsiderate who bring "SUV strollers" and carries her baby in a sling, I just hope you realize how lucky you are that you are well enough to carry your child. I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and can barely lift my two year old, never mind carry her. My trip to the aquarium was exhausting and very painful but as a chronically ill person these are sacrifices I always have to make. I would never have been able to bring my daughter to the aquarium without my "SUV stroller" (which doubles as a walker for me to lean on since I don't walk very well).
Here's the link to the Cleveland Aquarium contact page if anyone feels like voicing their mind.  I know I will.
http://greaterclevelandaquarium.com/plan-your-visit/contact/

No comments: