Friday, February 3, 2012

Oh....My Beautiful Garden

When I returned to Catalina after being gone for so long, I knew one of the things I would have to confront was the state of my beloved gardens.  The only people here while I was gone would never have  noticed (or cared) that a plant was withering away and dying from lack of water.  Actually, it wasn't as bad as I had envisioned.  It had rained several times while I was gone, so it was more a matter of overgrowth than anything else.  I did loose one Thyme plant that I'd grown from seeds because it just wasn't mature enough to handle the long dry periods, but I couldn't really complain.

Every time I walk out my door I am reminded that I am unable to kneel down or bend over my beautiful plants to care for them.  The weeds have grown in all the spaces between the bricks.  Only I haven't forgotten that the bricks are there I think.  One plant has grown across more than half of the walkway I use to get to my washer and dryer.  Every time I step around it I cringe and think "one day I'll feel well enough to get my shears out and cut it back".  I've been home for fourteen days and it hasn't happened yet.

Before I got sick, the garden was one of my favorite, most peaceful places to be.  When I went through a very difficult time, at the end of an eight year relationship, the garden saved me.  I spent so much time there and felt so at peace touching the plants and dirt.  The two cats that have lived in the garden for the last three or four years sat near me while I pulled weeds and trimmed plants. 

I so miss being with the plants and the dirt.  I hardly see the cats anymore and the garden is overgrown and messy looking.  It feels like a symbol for all the dimensions of my life that have withered away or have been overgrown like the bricks in the garden.  Meanwhile, I watch helplessly, as it becomes wilder and wilder, returning much to the state it was in when I first moved here five years ago.

No comments: