Saturday, March 3, 2012

Plant Based Diet for ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia?


I recently viewed the documentary film Forks Over Knives.  I'd been seriously considering a vegan diet for some time but hadn't been motivated enough to actually start.  I haven't eaten meat for many years but I always ate fish and dairy products.  This film was so inspiring that I haven't eaten a morsel of animal based food since watching it.  I'm already on day three of a completely vegan diet.

Anyone who's read previous posts in this blog knows that I've tried at least three different diets as well as countless medications, supplements, etc, in an attempt to get some relief from, or even a cure for my debilitating ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.  So far I've had little to no results in the more than two years I've been suffering with these diseases.  So now, I'm hoping, once again, that this will be my "holy grail".

Forks Over Knives is an excellent film that I think could really change your life.  It's amazing how profoundly healing a plant based diet was for some of the subjects in the film.  Drs. Campbell and Esselstyn go into scientific detail on why animal based foods are detrimental to your body and how plant based foods can actually stop and even reverse damage to your heart and other organs.  In my opinion, they prove that eating animals is not good for you as well as being (unknowingly) unethical and inhumane.  I loved the film and recommend everyone watch it.

Yesterday, while walking home from the market, I met a friend who knows I haven't been well and she asked how I was feeling.  I told her that I was hanging in there but was still feeling pretty bad.  I then briefly summarised my experiences since I had last seen her.  She said she could completely identify with not feeling well, then went on to tell me how she'd been having bad headaches and that she and her husband had finally decided to start a vegan diet, hoping to feel better.  I couldn't believe the irony of meeting her and having this discussion only two days after my having seen the film.  She went on to say that she and her husband had never felt better, that her headaches had gone away and that both of them had lost weight.  It must be a sign...maybe I'm actually on the right track this time. 

I'll continue updating as my latest battle with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia continues.

No comments: