Friday, March 16, 2012

Vegan Diet for CFS & FMS - Day 16


I have to admit, of all the different diets I've tried, this is the easiest to stick with.  Since I've been mostly vegetarian for years, cutting out dairy wasn't as hard as I would have thought.  There is actually a very wide variety of vegan food choices including pasta and marinara sauce, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, humus and spinach wraps, brown rice with cooked vegetables and olive oil and many more meals don't contain any meat or dairy.  I try to use organic ingredients when possible because I still believe that there's something to the theory about chemical sensitivity in food and it's connection to autoimmune disease.  I can't just dismiss the presence of chemicals in our food supply as having no deleterious effect on the health of the general public.  The increase in diagnoses of strange unexplained diseases (such as Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue) is unequivocally on the rise.  The statistics are indisputable, but I digress.

I still believe my experiment with diet change is having good results.  They aren't drastic by any means but I do feel as though I have more energy and I even lost five pounds.  I hope that as I continue eating a plant based diet, the results will become more noticable.

To change the subject a bit, I'm also experimenting with an over-the-counter supplement called Zyflamend by New Chapter which was recommended to me by Dr. Richard Podell in New Jersey.  The capsules are quite expensive so I want to know they really work before investing any more money in them.  Zyflamend is a supplement that was created to address joint and muscle pain (among other ailments).  I started taking two capsules a day back in January and I felt as though my muscles didn't feel as weak as they had but I couldn't be sure the Zyflamend was responsible.  I'd cut down to one capsule a day for the last couple weeks to extend my supply.  I've been noticing increased muscle weakness and knee pain.  Yesterday I took my last capsule.  If the muscle weakness and joint pain continues or gets worse, I'll try taking the Zyflamend again and see if it was in fact what had alleviated the weakness and pain initially. 

Here's the link to the Zyflamend site if you want to check it out.
http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend

No comments: