Thursday, March 1, 2012

How DARE They!!??

Two days ago I received a letter in the mail that really pissed me off.   It was a solicitation from the hospital I recently visited, for a donation to their "foundation".   I couldn't believe it.   I posted recently about this particular ER visit last month.
My Very Unproductive Visit to the ER
ER Visit Follow Up
To sum the incident up, while I was in NJ for the holidays, I ended up in the ER with a severe bout of depression that I think was a side effect of some medication I was taking.  After stagnating in a psych ward screening cell for about eight hours, I was discharged without being treated or even being seen by a doctor.  The next day, still not able to leave my bed, I received a call from a psychologist from the hospital who apologized profusely and twice, tried to get me to come back to be admitted.

I don't have insurance and am currently unemployed due to my illness.  I spent thousands of dollars last year on doctors visits, blood work, medication and hospital visits.  I'm still paying for blood work I had done in 2010 and my credit cards are nearing their limits.

The fact that the hospital, after sending me huge bills that I'll be paying for years, would have the audacity to ask me for a donation is mind-boggling!  Something is really wrong in a country where health care costs are so high that the patients cannot afford to become ill and apparently even those sky-high fees aren't enough to keep the hospital running, even as hospital administrators are paid obscene salaries.

My hometown hospital does the same thing.  Every few weeks I receive a plea for money in my mailbox.  Every time I open the envelope it gets my ire up and I enthusiastically throw it in the recycling bin.

Does anyone else feel offended by these solicitations?  Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box now...

No comments: