Saturday, October 8, 2011

Trying to Get Off Cymbalta?

The carb-free thing didn't work out but I'm not convinced that it isn't a diet issue that's causing my problems.  I've found some information on "delayed pattern food allergy" on the web and although I may be grasping at straws it sounds like an interesting theory to me.  I ordered a book by Dr. Gislason which explains the very involved process for discovering if you may in fact have a food allergy.  According to what I've read, it may take many months to come to any realization but if it works it's easily worth the time.

To prepare for fasting, which is the first step in the process, Dr. Gislason suggests that you rid your body of all prescription medications (as well as nicotine, caffeine & alcohol among other things).  I've been on SSRI's for about fifteen years to treat my Major Depression, so I'm a bit apprehensive about not taking them since I've experienced some severe depression in my life.  I've also had some experience with SSRI withdrawl so I know not to stop taking them abruptly.  I'm taking 60mg of Cymbalta once per day, so my plan was to take one dose every-other-day for a week or two then take one every third day, etc.  Since the medication comes in capsules, they can't be split in half.  I've used this method to wean myself off SSRIs before and have never had any problems.

Three days ago I intentionally skipped my Cymbalta dose before I went to bed, planning to take a dose the next night.  I woke up the next morning hardly able to move.  My muscles were so weak I could baredly lift my head from my pillow to drink some water.  As the day progressed I became more and more nauseated and I shivered with cold sweats.  It reminded me of my drinking days and the horrible hang-overs and alcohol poisoning I suffered all too frequently.  Unfortunately, my sickened state prevented me from realizing the source of my suffering until later in the evening.  I took a dose immediately but the damage was already done.  The next morning the withdrawl symptoms were gone.

I have NEVER experienced SSRI withdrawl symptoms that severe or sudden before.  In the past it's taken two or three days before I started to get "brain zaps" and feel dizzy or nauseated.  I admit that I was getting over a cold virus so that may have had some effect but I don't really think so.  My doctor prescribed 20mg tablets and I've been taking two of those once per day for the last two days and I haven't experienced any withdrawl as of yet.

If anyone out there is planning on quitting Cymbalta, be careful!  Also, don't let your prescription run out and think you'll just call your doctor tomorrow.  If you do, you may suffer severely for it and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

No comments: