Saturday, April 28, 2012

I Can Walk Three Miles Per Hour!

The Top of Hermit Gulch Trail on Catalina Island

For the last two nights I've been sure to ingest my pills, not just remove them from the bottles and leave them on the counter.  I still had some anxiety yesterday but today I'm back to feeling pretty good - which is great!

I went for a walk today that included a short incline which I haven't been able to climb for most of the last two years.  It felt amazing!  I was so encouraged that I almost started walking up one of the hills I used to walk every day.  Fortunately I stopped myself, knowing that overdoing it could set me way back.  I kept to the flat surfaces for the rest of the mile and came back feeling tired, but not exhausted, fatigued, short of breath or in pain.  In the picture above, the highlighted area is the end of a trail I used to climb on a regular basis before I became ill.  I've missed the beautiful view from the top that includes seeing the Pacific Ocean from both the windward and leewards sides of the island.  The picture below was taken on the trail near the top.  On the day this photo was taken, clouds overflowed from the windward side. 

Almost to the Top of Hermit Gulch Trail
I have an app on my iPhone, Motion-X GPS, that records my average speed (among other things) which today was 3.0mph!  I can look back at other walks I've taken in the past and the average speeds were more like 2.5 or even 2.1.  A few months ago, not long after I got the app, I tried to up my walking speed and ended up in bed for about two days afterwards, feeling horrible.

I so hope this lasts.  I'm so afraid it won't.

No comments: