Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Plan B

The episode of extreme fatigue I wrote about in my last post has passed.  Now it's just the normal fatigue and pain I've been experiencing for the last two years. 

Two days ago, I called the owners of the hotel I manage and told them I would be taking a three month medical leave.  When one day last week I discovered that I had taken at least two reservations and had no recollection or evidence of them anywhere, I realized that my cognitive impairment was much worse that I though.  I called my good friend who used to co-manage the hotel with me a few years ago and asked him if he would like the job.  When he said he would, I called the owners and let them know what would be happening.  They were very understanding and thought I should do whatever I needed to get better.  They said they didn't want to loose me as a manager and I sincerely hope that will not be the case.

Now I don't have a job.  I'll be completely dependant on my husband financially and the thought of that makes me sick.  I have an Etsy shop where I sell my art and jewelry (www.etsy.com/shop/thorawish sorry for the shameless plug) but I don't make nearly enough to completely support myself.  I've been working on it whenever I have the energy and my sales are up so I can only hope they continue.

I've been starting to admit to myself that I may not have a normal job for some time.  I've been wracking my brain thinking of a way I can earn a living from my couch.  A friend suggested I check out SEO (search engine optimization).  There are quite a few SEO telecommuting positions available out there from what I've seen on job-search sites.  I have a BFA which won't do me much good in this field but I found an on-line certification program in Internet Marketing at UC, Irvine.  It's $550 a course and you need to take six courses, I think, to receive your certification.  I hate to get into such debt for something that may not pay off but I'm not sure what else to do.  It's really scary and depressing.  I need to be able to earn a living somehow.  It's not like I have disability insurance or anything and I'm sure I couldn't get SSDI.

No comments: