Friday, April 1, 2011

Me, the Sea and My Life Now

At the end of my last post, I was still living aboard Perdida with Mike.  We had lost our very beloved fourteen year old dog Happy and mourned his loss as though we had lost a child.  Things were beginning to unravel below the surface but our stubborn plan to sail to Hawaii was still on course. 

The story doesn't have a very happy ending so far as answered dreams are concerned.  We never sailed off to Hawaii.   I never got to sit in a tropical lagoon in Perdida's cockpit watching the sun set.  I was never able to use any of the skills or knowledge I learned in the countless seminars and classes I'd attended.  I never felt the freedom of being out in the ocean, no land in site, standing at the helm with sea air blowing through my hair as I had imagined it with such excitement since as far back I can remember.  I had foolishly assumed this journey was to lead me to my life's purpose.  The pull to the sea was so strong, how could it not be destined?  How could something I'd never felt such joyful anticipation for completely abandon me.  I still don't really understand what happened.  Perdida has been gone now for four years and I still deeply mourn her loss.  Mike left for Hawaii around the same time we sold Perdida.  He sailed her from Catalina with a couple friends to her new owner on the mainland.  Watching her leave the harbor and disappear over the horizon hurt so badly I couldn't stand.  My heart was breaking into a million pieces.  Even while I write this, the pain returns, my eyes are welling up with tears and the computer screen is becoming harder to see.  I always look out into the harbor to see her beautiful, distinctive teal colored hull, wondering if her new owners would take her here for a cruise but I have never seen her.  I suppose I'll never see her or Mike again.

Sometimes I miss Mike deeply.  I love my husband dearly but I know that I will never again share something so life altering, as what Mike and I shared, with anyone else.  The hundreds of photographs we took along our journey are sitting on my hard drive and will probably remain unviewed for the rest of my life.  As I took those pictures I remember thinking "Maybe we can make a documentary about our journey".  Maybe someday my daughter will look at the photos after I'm gone and wonder about them. 

How could I be as close with anyone again?  Mike and I were together for eight years, most of which was spent researching sailboats together, dinners out or at bars spent excitedly talking about nothing but our "plan", going to countless classes and seminars together, buying our dream boat together, going through rough times while learning about our new boat together, packing up our lives and driving across the country to start our new life and so so much more....together.  I learned at Christmas that Mike had gotten married.  It knocked me off my feet, crushing me for about three days.  The same thought kept running through my mind and even quietly sobbed through my tears "Mike....what happened...what happened to us?".   All I could think about was the day we first met.  The excitement that had begun that day and had completely sustained me (while also torturing me) for eight years was completely dead.  No one else on this planet could possibly understand what this felt like but Mike.

 Mike's wedding as well as the onset of Fibromyalgia have completely closed the door on what feels like three quarters (or more) of my self.  I tell my friends and family that I feel like a shell of who I once was but I don't think they really understand.  How could they.  I never could have imagined what this felt like.

My living room window looks out upon the Pacific ocean.  I watch the sea intently every day; calm and blue, then white with wind-driven froth, choppy in a breeze, constantly changing before my eyes.  I can look upon it as a spectator but I cannot participate.  The first affliction that prevented my vision from becoming reality, Panic Disorder, is still there, only lying dormant, waiting until I'm on the sea again.  My second affliction, Fibromyalgia, seems to make the first or any other deterrent seem irrelevant.

No comments: