Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Light at the End of the Tunnel......Maybe?

After lots of searching and asking around, I finally found a rhumatologist who would graciously see a "cash patient".  I made an appointment for the end of the month.  No one at the office seems able to tell me how much this consultation will cost so I'll just have to cross my fingers that it won't wipe me out completely.  I've taken some money out of a retirement savings account I have and I hope it will be enough. 

This experience has reminded me of one thing, what it feels like to be discriminated against.  I've been discriminated based on my income level before.  I grew up in a middle to low income family and have always dated/ married men who were from as poor or poorer families than mine.  As an artist and non-conformist, I have never sought a job that paid big bucks.  I was always content with having enough money to pay the bills and a little left over.  My current job pays practically nothing.  My main compensation is my housing.  I get paid commission on the rooms I book but in the winter that can be almost nothing.  Since I make so little and don't have health insurance, I'm enrolled in Charity Care and Patient Assistance at the clinic.  These programs only cover certain things, so for the rest I'm on my own.  There is definitely a stigma attached to those who have no other choice but to participate in these programs.  I have experienced it many times.

No comments: