Monday, February 6, 2012

Graded Exercise - How NOT to Do It

I try to get out and walk every day, even if it's not very far.  I had just started trying "graded exercise" which I've read is recommend for Fibromyalgia sufferers.  Basically, the concept is, to increase your exertion levels in very small increments over a long period of time.  The theory is, that this type of slowly increased, low-impact exercise, will not cause ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia symptoms to intensify as regular exercise usually does.

I bought an app for my iPhone that measures distances walked, average pace, altitude, where you walked and more, using GPS.  Just as a side note, I really like the app and recommend it highly.  It's called MotionX-GPS.

Anyway, the app can be set to give an auditory update every five minutes with average speed, distance traveled and time passed.  I wanted to keep track of how fast I was walking, since it's often hard for me to judge, and increase my speed slowly over time. 

I began walking, with the new app on my iPhone last week.  I was having a pretty good day, so I decided to do a 1.5 mile walk.  My average speed was 2.4 mph.  The next day I walked the same route and had a similar average speed.  The day after that I decided to try to kick my speed up a bit.  It seems I got a bit over-confident.  I pushed myself and tried to maintain 2.7 mph.  Of course, people as old as my parents were flying by me like I was standing still, but I had to really push my leg muscles to keep up that pace.  I was really proud of myself and managed to repeat my performance the next day but that was the end of that. 

I guess the two 2.7 mph days, pathetically, knocked me out.  I was extremely fatigued and weak for days after.  That was six days ago and finally, just today, I was able to go for a walk.  It was a little under a mile and my speed was more like 2.0 mph and that was as fast as I possibly could have walked.  My muscles felt weak and shaky and I kept loosing my balance.  If I'd tried to walk any faster I probably would have fallen down.  I wonder how long it'll take before I'm able to walk normally again.

The lesson here is, in graded exercise, when they say very small increments, they mean VERY small.

No comments: