Thursday, February 3, 2011

Still Waiting...

Yesterday I summoned all the energy I had, got my daughter ready and carried the stroller and her down two flights of stairs to get out to the sidewalk in front of where we live.  On days when I feel "good" this is what I have to do to check the mail or go to the market.  When I get to the sidewalk I have to walk to the market and post office or anywhere else in town I want to go.  Many people on the island own a golf  cart to get around but we don't have one.  There's a fifteen year wait to get an actual car on the island. 

So anyway, I gathered up some of the articles I mentioned in one of my last posts and put them in an envelope.  I typed a short note to my doctor and my daughter and I walked to the clinic.  Well, I walked, she sat. I dropped the envelope off at the front desk and then we had to walk back.  By the time we were walking back I was feeling horrible.  I was sweating profusely, I felt short of breath and my legs were weak.  When we finally got home I nearly passed out.  Something I used to do with such ease and speed is now like going on an expedition.  I used to run up and down the stairs to my apartment not thinking twice about just running out for something I forgot at the market then running back, my respiration only slightly faster than it was before.  Now I can leave the apartment only once a day if I'm lucky.  There are many days I wouldn't be able to even walk down the stairs never mind walk anywhere.  There are many days I never leave my apartment.

I still haven't heard anything from my doctor.  I left two messages and of course the documents.  Maybe it's just taking time for her to digest them.  And so I wait another week.

No comments: