Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Autoimmune Syndrome and Pesticides in our Food Supply

Pesticides Being Sprayed on Food Crops
Pesticides Being Sprayed on Food Crops (image source: nmorganics.net)


I recently read an article in "Natural Awakenings" the Central New Jersey version, June 2012 issue, that I wanted to share.  I've written about this subject before but felt it was time for a re-visit.

The title of the article is "Is Your Body Allergic to Itself? - The Plight of Autoimmune Syndrome" and is written by Dr. Nikki Conte (unfortunately the article is available only in print or PDF format which is where the above link will take you).

Dr. Conte's article focuses on, what I agree is, the real cause (or one of the main causes) of autoimmune diseases such as ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and Fibromyalgia.  I don't understand how the presence of staggering amounts of chemicals, including pesticides and synthetic bovine growth hormone, injested by the average American every day in their food can be all but disregarded by our government, medical establishment and the general public.  Our food supply has become inexcusably poisoned and the presence of these chemicals is routine and completely legal. 

WARNING: Pesticides are Dangerouse to Your Health
image source:  http://www.lowdensitylifestyle.com/obesity-can-be-caused-by-chemicals-in-foods/

Pesticides are created to kill insects, fungus or any other living thing that may endanger the particular crop they are applied to.  Although I realize human beings are quite a bit larger, therefore less vulnerable to the fatal effects of these chemicals, this daily ingestion must have some cumulative effect.  I think it's naive to think that chemicals who's sole purpose is to kill, will have no negative impact on human beings as a whole.  I've often thought (and I know I'm not alone) that these chemicals must have some part in the increase of autism cases and many other diseases, such as obesity, that the medical and scientific communities seem baffled by. (For more information about obesity and pesticides click on the source link under the above image) 

Our immune systems simply don't know how to react to the onslaught of these relatively new agents and in some people, have become so confused that they wage a full autoimmune attack on benign substances in our food or environment that have been in existence for many generations, or in the case of wheat, since human beings began an agrarian existence around ten thousand years ago.

As the mother of a two-and-a-half year old, this whole notion scares the heck out of me.  I buy as many organic foods as I can reasonably afford and my daughter has yet to taste beef, chicken, pork or any other land animal, though she has had fish on occasion.  I feel desperate to protect her from pesticides, synthetic bovine growth hormone and chemical preservatives but these substances are so prevalent in our food supply that I wonder if this is even remotely possible.

No comments: